Sunday, November 15, 2009

Friday 13th November - progress report!

I always consider a Friday 13th date to be good luck instead of bad luck, as my divorce was finalised on a Friday 13th! Anyway, dearest husband and I went up to the block on Friday, before his departure for LA yesterday lunchtime, to see what was what and we were very impressed.

The panorama isn't done with fancy software but I think it gives an idea of how the house is going to sit in the landscape, which is the part of the building process I find difficult to imagine without the reality sitting in front of me. What you can't see (because I didn't take any photos this time) is how the studio blends in with its surroundings from a distance, which makes me feel good about how the house isn't going to stand out horribly either. Yes, it will be shiny and new, but it won't be brutal, and in fact you won't be able to see much of it until you're on the driveway. I like that.






















The roof trusses are obviously on, and this makes the overhangs apparent now. We don't need a huge overhang because the sun won't be shining directly into the windows, but it will give us a bit of protection against the rain. There are long slim louvered windows that sit high under the eaves and they'll stay open in a storm without the rain coming in (unless we have horizontal rain, which isn't unheard of around here... in which case I'll be closing them up tight!).






















M's data cabling is in...


















And while we were there the plasterers were just beginning to board up the insides ready to start plastering! We've been down to Bunnings to get paint charts and now need to make up our minds what the insides are going to look like. While we were at it, we also chose floor and wall tiles for the studio's bathroom. In some ways I think the studio is going to be a case study for the main house: we'll get a chance to view our choices in real rooms with the light shifting during the day. I wonder if we'll change our minds for the main house? If we like the bathroom tiles we've selected we'd like to use them throughout... I guess we'll wait and see.

No comments: