Sunday, October 12, 2008

Little boxes on the hillside

At home I've continued to enjoy myself with making a model of our new house, from the architect's plans. It's been tricky in places! Mainly, I think, because the plans have been printed and reprinted on different printers, with the result that not all the sheets are to exactly the same scale. Although technically the plans are 1:100 at A3 size, variations in printing mean that they're not all the same, which has made resolving the design of the roof particularly difficult. Luckily I'm enjoying the challenge and here are some working photos from this morning.

Anna Fisher was very helpful, telling me that usually architects' models are made from foam core and mount board, which saved me the hardship of trying to cut thicker greyboard and paint it white.




The house, without internal walls, obviously







This is the bedroom end



Looking into the studio - office building

There's a garden storage room on one end; I made models of the larger furniture!


I have to say that making the models is fascinating: not in an Airfix-ated kind of way, but because making the models and seeing how the spaces fit together gives me a huge insight into how the building is going to 'work' for us. Already I'm conscious of how much bigger the studio/office building is compared to the house's main living areas! I want to finish the models soon, partly so that Michael and I have a chance to think carefully about the way the spaces work, and partly so that our builder and our architect can use them.

No comments: